Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Pasta Fritatta

(From the Taste of Home Contest-Winning Recipes)

I had to make a few variations because out of necessity. What I changed is in parenthesis.

1 large onion, chopped
1 T. vegetable oil
12 ounces sliced deli ham, finely chopped
4 garlic cloves, minced
6 eggs
3 egg whites
1/2 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
2 T. minced fresh parsley (used 1 T. dried)
1 - 1 1/2 tsp. Italian seasoning (thought I had but didn't so I used a pinch of oregano and basil instead)
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. pepper
dash of cayenne pepper
2 cups cooked angel hair pasta

In an ovenproof skillet (don't have one so I used a regular skillet), saute onion in oil. Add ham & garlic; saute 1 minute longer. Remove and set aside.

In a large bowl, whisk the eggs and the egg whites. Add cheese, parsley & seasonings. Add the ham mixture and pasta.

Coat the same skillet (I used an 11x7 baking dish) with cooking spray if necessary. (It was necessary.) Add pasta mixture. Cover and cook over medium heat for 3 minutes. (I just stuck it in the 400 degree oven for an extra 3 minutes.) Uncover. Bake at 400 degrees for 13 minutes or until set. (It took about 18 minutes in an 11x7.) Let stand for 5 minutes before cutting.

This goes great with a green salad!

No comments: