- 2 cups slivered almonds
- whole almonds for garnish
- 1 cup plus 2 Tbs sugar
- 4 large egg whites at room temperature
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp vanilla
- 1/2 cup semi-sweet mini chocolate chips
- parchment paper for baking
- Place almonds on baking sheet, and toast for 10 to 12 minutes at 350ºF.
- Remove the almonds from the oven and let them cool completely.
- Reduce oven temperature to 300ºF.
- Place the toasted almonds and sugar in a food processor with the metal blade and pulse until the almonds are coarsely chopped.
- Place the egg whites and salt in a mixing bowl.
- Whisk until foamy.
- Add the vanilla and continue to whisk the egg whites until you have stiff peaks.
- Gently fold the almond mixture and mini chips into the egg whites.
- Line baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Drop the batter by tablespoonfuls onto the parchment paper, leaving at least 1" between the cookie batter.
- Top each cookie with a whole almond.
- Bake the cookies for 25 minutes or until lightly browned.
- Remove cookies from the oven and set aside for 2 minutes.
- Use a spatula to remove the cookies to a wire rack to cool.
Note: To properly whisk eggs the bowl and beaters must be totally grease and oil free.When incorporating the almonds into the egg whites I like to use a spatula instead of a spoon. The thin spatula helps to prevent deflating the egg whites.