Saturday, January 29, 2011

Favorite Chocolate Chip Cookies (& wheat free version)

This recipe originally came from my sister Shauna--not sure where she got it, but these are the best chocolate chip cookies as far as I'm concerned.  We like them soft and chewy, not hard and crunchy.

YIELD:  3 dozen cookies

Cream together:
  • 2 eggs
  • 1 c. butter, softened, not melted
  • 1/4 c. brown sugar
  • 3/4 c. sugar  (sometimes I do 1/2 c. each of the sugars)
Add:
  • 1 tsp. baking soda
  • 1 tsp. vanilla
  • 1 pkg. instant vanilla pudding (3.4 oz box, add the dry mix only)
  • 2 1/4 c. all-purpose flour
  • 1 pkg. chocolate chips (12 oz. bag)
  • 1 c. nuts (optional)
Drop by spoonful onto cookie sheet. 
***I use my 1-1/2" diameter Pampered Chef medium scoop


Sometimes I use the bottom of a cup, lightly floured, and flatten out the dough a bit before baking.

Bake at 375ºF for 8-10 minutes.
***I find that using stoneware pans I bake the cookies more like 10-12 minutes.

For bars:
Spread in 9 x 13 pan and bake for 20-25 minutes.

_____________________________________
Updated Feb. 2012
WHEAT FREE VERSION:

Instead of using AP flour substitute WonderFlour™ straight across and then add 1 tsp. Xanthum Gum.
I don't think you'll be able to taste a difference.

To make your own WonderFlour™ go here. It is a combo of spelt, pearled barley and brown rice.




We're linked up with the above site. 
(Click on pic)
They've got some tasty goodie recipes to try also.

1 comment:

Lisa said...

Yum, I prefer my chocolate chip cookies to be soft and chewy too. These sound delicious. I have a linky party on my blog right now called "Sweets for a Saturday" and I'd like to invite you to stop by and link this up.