Monday, June 23, 2008

Asparagus Quiche with an easy cornbread crust

4 eggs beaten
2 cups light cream
1/4 tsp nutmeg
1/2 tsp salt
Pinch of cayenne pepper
1 1/2 cups crumbled cornbread
10-12 spears of asparagus
(save 3 inch tips for decorating the top)
1 1/2 cups shredded cheddar cheese

Preheat oven to 425 degrees. In a small mixing bowl beat the eggs with the cream. Add nutmeg, salt and pepper. Continue to mix well until there is froth from the cream. Let mixture rest while crust is prepared. In an 8 inch round pan or pie dish crumble cornbread and press onto bottom of pan. Crust should be even and about 1/4 inch thick. Cut 3 inch tips off asparagus and set aside. Chop remaining portion of asparagus and arrange randomly on top of pressed crust. Add bed of cheese over crust and asparagus, then pour egg and cream mixture over cheese bed. Decorate with asparagus tips in starburst pattern. Put in oven on the center rack and bake for 15 minutes then adjust temperature to 350 degrees and continue to bake for 30 minutes or until firm. Test readiness with a knife in the center of the quiche. The knife should come out clean. Let rest for 10 minutes then cut and serve. Serves 8.

This is a sweet delight. It can be served warm or cold. You'll love any leftovers. I usually make two just so I can chill one and eat one warm. Enjoy at breakfast, lunch or dinner. Try other variations using ham, bacon, spinach, or carmelized onion. It's great with mozzarella, too.

2 comments:

Annette said...

That looks delicious! I'm definitely putting that on my next grocery list. Jenna loves asparagus!

DadsGarage said...

I tried making this quiche with a regular tart crust. Fortunately the crust didn't turn out and I started to experiment with what I had on hand. Earlier in the day I had made Jiffy cornbread muffins that stuck in the muffin cups. I decided to create my own crust using the leftover cornbread. Boy, did it turn out great! I took the quiche to a PTA pot luck and everyone was raving about it. I really think your family will love it! It's my favorite! I enjoy experimenting in the kitchen. You never know what will work and what won't.